The Will of God
The will of God is the most important element of prayer for both the prayer and the person doing the praying.
If we are to perfect prayer we must
- be what God wills us to be
- do what God wills us to do
- say what God wills us to say
- think what God wills us to think
- pray what God wills us to pray
- pray how God wills us to pray
- pray when God wills us to pray
- pray for the results he wills the prayer to produce
God's word in 1 John gives us two statements regarding God's will and successful prayer.
If our heart condemn us, God is greater than our heart, and knows all things. Beloved, if our heart condemn us not, then have we confidence toward God. As whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. (1 John 3:20-22)
If we are what God wills us to be and do what he wills us to do then we have confidence toward God. Whatsoever we ask we receive of him because we do his will in being, words, thoughts, and action.
This is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he hears us: and if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him. (1 John 5:14)
If we ask any thing according to his will. If how we ask is according to his will. If what we ask is according to his will.
- Learn how to determine what God's will is.
- Clear up some confusion about the will of God and prayer.